These are some Frequently Asked Questions in relation to Online Booking Deposits
Are you using Custom Online Deposits in Europe or Australia?
If you are using Custom Online Deposits through PhorestPay, click here for our most common answers to questions around Custom Deposits.
Online booking deposits are retained by Phorest to cover costs involved in the following:
- Processing and validating the card
- Providing a secure platform for storing your client's card details
- Charging the card up to the full amount of the service in the event of a no-show or cancellation within the cancellation period. Your client agrees to this in the terms and conditions when booking online.
The booking deposit is inclusive of VAT.
- Online Booking total up to 19.99 = Deposit of 0.60
- Online Booking total between 20.00 - 39.99 = Deposit of 1.00
- Online Booking total from 40.00+ = Deposit of 1.50
The deposit is decided by the total amount of the booking and is not a deposit per each service/treatment booked.
How it works
- Example: The customer books online for a service of 35.00 and pays a deposit of 1.00
- Once they've had their service/treatment and go to pay, they will be charged 34.00 (the remaining amount).
- If the no-show is processed through Phorest for the full amount remaining - the salon would receive 34.00 from Phorest.
Click here for a guide on how to charge for a No Show appointment.
When or how are the deposits sent to me?
The deposits are not forwarded onto you and are retained by Stripe to cover the costs of keeping your client's details secure and allowing you to charge a client a remaining balance if a client no-shows.
Why does Phorest charge an online booking fee?
As with any payment processor, including notable ones like Paypal, a fee is taken as part of their costs to run their services. This covers the storage of credit card details securely, payment transactions, legal necessities (licensing, etc) as well as developing and maintaining the systems to ensure the payment process is easy for you and your clients.
What if my client wants to cancel their appointment? Will they get their deposit back?
When your client cancels their appointment online they lose their deposit. If the cancellation is done by the salon then the deposit is refunded to the card that the client used when making the booking online. Click here for a guide on how to cancel an appointment.
What if my client reschedules their appointment? What happens to their deposit?
The deposit is retained on their account for their next appointment. If the appointment is made and the client attends the deposit is then retained by Phorest.
My client didn't turn up what do I do?
My client was late can I charge them?
You will not be able to charge a client for being late through their payment method stored online. If you felt it was necessary you would need to add an extra amount to their bill using the Hot Keys button in the Purchase screen.
If I no-show charge a client how do I get my money?
Phorest will send the money directly to your bank account on record. We do a payment run at the beginning of the month and halfway through the month. After each successful no show charge, you and your client are emailed with confirmation this has taken place.
Can I increase the deposit amounts online?
A - This is currently not possible. The deposit amounts are set at the rates above.
Can I turn off deposits?
No, deposits cannot be turned off.
We have found turning off the deposit amounts actually increases the number of no-shows you have. This is because it made it too easy for clients to book without thinking about the consequences of failing to show for their appointment. When a booking is secured by a deposit, clients are made aware that if they fail to turn up for their appointment they may be charged the remaining balance regardless.