These are some Frequently Asked Questions about Phorest online booking fees.
Are you using Online Deposits through PhorestPay (with Stripe)?
If you are using Online Deposits through PhorestPay (with Stripe), click here for our most common answers to questions about Online Deposits through PhorestPay.
The information in this article only applies if you are not using Online Deposits through PhorestPay (with Stripe).
Online booking fees are retained by Phorest to cover costs involved in the following:
- Processing and validating the card
- Providing a secure platform for storing your client's card details
- Charging the card up to the full amount of the service in case of a no-show or cancellation within the cancellation period. Your client agrees to this in the terms and conditions when booking online.
The booking fee is inclusive of tax.
- Online Booking total up to 19.99 = A fee of 0.60
- Online Booking total between 20.00 - 39.99 = A fee of 1.00
- Online Booking total from 40.00+ = A fee of 1.50
The fee is decided by the total booking amount and is not a fee per each service/treatment booked.
How it works
- Example: The customer books online for a service of 35.00 and pays a fee of 1.00
- Once they've had their service/treatment and go to pay, they will be charged 34.00 (the remaining amount).
- If the no-show is processed through Phorest for the full amount remaining - the salon would receive 34.00 from Phorest.
Click here for a guide on charging for a No Show appointment.
When or how are the fees sent to me?
The fees are not forwarded to you and are retained by Phorest to cover the costs of keeping your client's details secure and allowing you to charge a client a remaining balance if a client no-shows.
Why does Phorest charge an online booking fee?
As with any payment processor, including notable ones like Paypal, a fee is taken as part of their costs to run their services. This covers the storage of credit card details securely, payment transactions, legal necessities (licensing, etc.), and developing and maintaining the systems to ensure the payment process is easy for you and your clients.
What if my client wants to cancel their appointment? Will they get their booking fee back?
When your client cancels their appointment online, they lose the booking fee. If the cancellation is made by the salon, then the fee is refunded to the card that the client used when making the booking online. Click here for a guide on how to cancel an appointment.
What if my client reschedules their appointment? What happens to their booking fee?
The booking fee is retained on their account for their next appointment. If the appointment is made and the client attends, the fee is then retained by Phorest.
My client didn't turn up what do I do?
If I no-show charge a client, how do I get my money?
Phorest will send the money directly to your bank account on record. We make a payment run at the beginning of the month and halfway through the month. After each successful no-show charge, you and your client are emailed with confirmation this has taken place.
Can I increase the fee amounts online?
This is currently not possible. The fee amounts are set at the rates above. However, if you are using PhorestPay (through Stripe), you can customize your online booking deposits. Check out this guide to find out how.
Can I turn off online booking fees?
No, booking fees cannot be turned off.
We have found that turning off the booking fees increases the number of no-shows you have. This is because it made it too easy for clients to book without thinking about the consequences of failing to show up for their appointment. When a booking is secured by a booking fee, clients are made aware that if they fail to turn up for their appointment, they may be charged the remaining balance regardless.